City Kitchen Makeovers:
|Want the romance of times past but not the workload of a scullery maid? A Noe Valley family transformed their 1885 cottage turned "DIY 1970's nightmare" into a place to dance, brew and cook with the help of designer-cousin Chad de Witt. Cost of cabinetry: $1,500
|White workspace in Clubland: Award-winning food photographer Deborah Jones turned to her friend architect Nilus de Matran to magic a galley kitchen into a space that would accommodate up to 12 people working on a shoot. Cost of kitchen: $25,000
|Happily Ever After: Nik Divakaruni wanted to spruce up the "cave-like" kitchen in his Pac Heights apartment before he asked his girlfriend to move in. Designer Rachel Seldin came in $600 under budget... Cost of kitchen including design fees, new flooring for the entire apartment and living room lighting: $31,00. The couple are getting married this month!
What's In What's Out.
Informal poll of SF design experts
1. The Kitchen is a Living Room: Put all your living room art in there (Madonna famously kept her Picasso in her basement kitchen in London). Minimise upper cabinetry to promote that exhale factor.
2. Surprise! Watch the video to see the sneaky colour emerge in this seemingly monochromatic Marin kitchen by architect Nilus de Matran
3. Clear the Decks! Get all your appliances and bits of bobs off the counter with Appliance Walls and Appliance Garages (hidey places with pull-down doors for toasters, microwaves, mixers and other crap.) Gliding drawers for everything (stuff gets lost in cupboards) including plates.
4. Gatherer's Kitchen: Doesn't have to pretend to be a cooks' kitchen with big altar-like gas burners and mutiple squirty hoses. Which leads to...
5. Re-think the Triangle: The Triangle has been around since Roman times but became a firm rule in the 1950's when the housewife was invariably in the kitchen by herself. Now with loads of people in the kitchen, you can station fridges and pantries at the sides - or whatever you like - to keep the kids-guests mess out.
Do you agree? What would you add to the list?