Friday, January 13, 2012

Right Place, Right Time

I've made no secret of the fact that our youngest, Cy, says and does things at the wrong time. Deliciously passionate about everything, especially "baksetball" he runs through life with an enormous grin on his face - unless he's howling with rage. But he can get himself in hot water. And yet sometimes, just sometimes, it all comes together....

Cy, seven, with the Warriors cheerleaders

Last night Cy lined up to get a supersonic-sized soda (as you do when you're age seven) at the Warriors game. For anyone who doesn't follow basketball, the Golden State Warriors are an NBA team in Oakland and they are "super-famous and super-awesome."  He turned a second later and there were the Warriors "girls"!

Other times Cy can get in a muddle. At age four at pre-school, he raised his hand to go to the bathroom and was subsequently picked to be the "husband" at a mock Mexican wedding ceremony. For years later he was asked: "How's married life Cy?" and "How's your wife, Cy?"  "But" he would plead: "I didn't want to get married. I was just raising my hand to go to the bathroom."

I spent much of my early life failing to be where I was supposed to be (and yet having a bloody good laugh anyway.) Except one night, 16 years ago, I got the right directions to a party in Chelsea, London. That was the night I met my husband. If we hadn't met that night, our paths would have never crossed. That was the night I got it right.

Can you think of a day or night you were magically in the right place at the right time?

(We've just done the random draw for the cashmere-blend scarf Giveaway. The lucky winner is Trish of the hilarious British blog Mum's Gone To... Trish, email your address to me at jbrettkelly@gmail.com and we'll send it right away.)

19 comments:

  1. I'm trying to think of magical right time/right place moments. I can't right now, but I will tell you that whenever I'm beind an annoyingly slow driver I always try to console myself with 'maybe they're a sort of guardian angel and they're driving slow because there is an accident about to happen and because I'm going so slowly I won't be in it.' That's called not being at the wrong moment at the wrong time I guess.

    It keeps me from getting road rage at least ;)

    ReplyDelete
  2. where was the party in Chelsea?
    I used to live in South Kensington

    ReplyDelete
  3. Saying things at the wrong time: I'm 43 and still struggling with that one!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Cy sounds like a lot of fun!

    I am trying to think of right time/ right place examples---- hmmm---- I have had some great experiences with work that **may** fall into that category, but nothing specific that I can think of right now...

    ReplyDelete
  5. He will probably appreciate that photo more when he is older! Have a great weekend:)
    ~Anne

    ReplyDelete
  6. I was also in the right place at the right time when I met my husband. Decided last minute to join my parents (hell I was 23!) on a holiday to Tenerife. Met hubby by the pool: he and his best mate had also taken a last minute holiday to the same apartments. I saw this gorgeous man and our eyes met across the pool. The rest is history.

    Delighted to have won the scarf. I've emailed you my address. Thank you xx

    ReplyDelete
  7. and sometimes being in the wrong place is when the adventure starts!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. My son loves the Thunder Girls. I can't think of any right time/right place stories. Sad!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Love your blog and start following, hope you'll follow back!!! xoxo from rome

    www.rockandfrock.com

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a thrill for him! I tend to be in the right place quite often. In fact...my husband and I realized we crossed paths a few times through our lives but didn't actually meet until we were in our 30s! It's like destiny kept trying till we got it right!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lady's man. That smile will get him far in life.

    My husband and I met when we were both assigned to work on the same lawsuit -- Disney heirs fighting over Lillian's money. So I'm not sure if it was timing, or greed, that brought us together.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'm like Cy — wrong pace, wrong time.

    Fortunately, I have survived. As I sure Cy will.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Wow a young boy, cheer leaders now that is right place at right time LOL

    ReplyDelete
  14. I really missed your posts, I am so glad to be back!!! Cy is very cute!!

    Have a fantastic week!!

    xoxoxo

    ReplyDelete
  15. This is a great post, and it got me thinking about right time, right place moments in my life.

    For me - it's saying the right thing - kind of.
    I invited myself to be my husband's date at a wedding, when we were just friends. Turned out to be the best thing I said/did. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. He will love that photo when he is older!
    as for right place/time for me? not sure really...maybe it hasn't happened yet.....

    ReplyDelete
  17. No. Wow, I've just realised my life is so boring

    ReplyDelete
  18. Went with friends to "Heaven 'n' Hell" in Adams Morgan on 1/15/1998 and "found" my future wife doing a wall dance...

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...