Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Chez Panisse and Junior Prom

The festival of birthday continued with enormous amounts of eating and drinking. Harley, 16, had his Junior Prom, I really felt the passing of time. When the kids were tiny I would get to 10am and think: by gosh, the morning feels like a century! The hours they were long, my friends, but the years have zoomed by.

Harley and his prom date Mairin

Harley did a bit of a Tom Cruise and asked Mairin not to wear high heels (Harley!) In the end I think she looked even cuter with her flats. (She has really good posture... funny that was the first thing Dad noticed about my mother) I loved the picture of Harley with all his friends below, he's been at school with these kids since he was four years old. They graduated from their K-8 school, just 24 of them, and they've stayed friends right up until high school. Proud that we parents stayed friends though all the emotional ups and downs. That's a feat, let me tell you.


My Platinum dance group performed again this weekend, with DC Productions at  Castro Valley.  We did the Stevie Wonder tribute again -  how awesome was that guy?

Old Stevie, smiling down on Platinum (I'm at the back)

On Friday lunch we went with Kenny'n'Mike to Chez Panisse, the most famous restaurant in the US. (60 days to get a rezo downstairs) It's owner, Alice Waters, was the first to do the eat-what's-fresh farm-to-table thingy. First time I went I was shocked; it's such a simple, unassuming place with a coupla tables. Everything tastes so real and deep and without rich sauces. I had the roast chook and rhubarb crumble, I even ordered the pizza with sardines and I never ever order pizza (it was good). We had three big old beardy blokes behind us, all in green caps, looking like old ZZ Top guys. It's that kind of place.

ZZ Top guys next to us at Chez Panisse

Kevin and I with Kenny'n'Mike. All my make-up was missing (Tallulah!) so I had to do a Tilda Swinton
Our waiter at Chez Panisse


Obligatory champers


Beet salad
Roast chook and turnips

Rhubarb crumble
Pizza with sardines starter


I know what you're thinking - she doesn't like pizza, what a weirdo!  I hope we can still be friends? (Do you have an unpopular tastes?)






35 comments:

  1. Oh Jody! Have always wanted to go to Chez Panisse!!! Wah!

    And that boy of yours - a good looking scamp!

    If heaven exists, and I believe it does, the song Sir Duke will probably be playing as I walk through the pearly gates!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wendy! Sir Duke for me too.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hmKshpLXnxE&feature=kp
      In fact I was thinking about my send off songs when we were waiting to go on stage and Michael and Stevie have them just about wrapped up!

      Delete
  2. Look at you back there toe all pointy hands just perfect. You need to be brought up front and center. His junior prom, my son asked a beautiful girl to the prom. She was 6'0 tall. He never asked, she chose not to wear heels. They were so cute. Time doesn't slow down a bit even when they are out of the house. next thing I know, they'll be the ones turning fifty.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks - old Mrs Shirley Dibble drummed the extensions into us darling. (and we'll be turning 100! oh hang on, is that math right?)

      Delete
  3. Good one for him pulling the tom cruise haha and look at you go with the flow

    ReplyDelete
  4. luff it that you are in a dance troupe!!! and I have always wanted to go to Chez Panisse - jealous x

    ReplyDelete
  5. Next time I am in the area I will try and make it although I hear San Francisco has great restaurants all round. But pics look great! Love the prom pics so much. Brings back fun memories! Love the dance pics too.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Chez is in a funky old area of Berkeley called the Gourmet Ghetto, hippy meets cheese. Hope you get here!

      Delete
  6. Oh it looks fabulous (especially the champagne ;-)) I've never heard of the restaurant but have now put it on my to- do list!
    And the prom photo, so sweet, why do they grow up so quickly?!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The champers was great and they often have bottles for less than $20 which is very clever

      Delete
  7. There's so much good stuff in this post. Harley and his date, how adorable. Those days were long but now look, my son turned 21 this winter how did that happen? I've been having a bit of a mid-life about it I have to say. That would be remedied by going to Chez Panisse. Top of list when we ever get to California.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dani - Sometimes I would like to get in a time machine and whiz back and with my (better rested) self give those little ones a good sqeeezy hug again

      Delete
  8. What a lovely young pair! You are right about her gorgeous posture! What stunners.
    PS love that dance troupe.
    Kenny and Mike have the best smiles. I love them without even knowing them. :D

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You would get on well with them - they would love your fascinators!

      Delete
  9. The restaurant has such a wonderful and rich history that I really don't think another city could have cradled as well at that time. Glad you enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congrats to your son. Mine are still young, and agree that 10am feels late in the day!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh, I'd love to get to CP once before the End! I have all her books and use them, having a small garden to table establishment right under my roof.

    Love that you do this dance thang.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Have to say once you go you honestly wonder why you go to any other restaurant!

      Delete
  12. I too was shocked recently about the interior of that place!Doesnot match the FOOD!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I love pizza not, but I didn't like it until I was 18. What a great prom picture. I didn't realize reservations were still so far out at Chez Panisse. The food looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great photo of your son! What a gift that they've all been together their entire lives. And that crumble! Divine.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cute couple at the prom! :)

    I will have the duck, please! am not very fond of asparagus and will not eat green peppers - they are not ripe and cause me a lot of indigestion.

    ReplyDelete
  16. So funny Harley made his date wear flats... and I hope for your sake that's where the similarities between him and Tom Cruise end.
    Loved the Chez Panisse review. The menu was interesting - the prices aren't as high as I would've thought they'd be. Here in Australia most of the top restaurant entrees are higher. Looks delicious xx

    ReplyDelete
  17. When I was in college (just a few blocks away) I dreamed of going to Chez Panisse. Years later, I still have not gone. You are inspiring me to try!

    ReplyDelete
  18. This looks wonderful, I wish I could go to these proms again, would be so much fun. Your dinner looked great, very lovely. I hope you have a great weekend xx

    ReplyDelete
  19. Love Harley's prom picture! So so sweet! And Chez Panisse--I'm drooling remembering how good that place is. It was the cool place to go back in college and looks like it still is. So glad she's still doing it!
    xo Mary Jo

    ReplyDelete
  20. What an achievement to get a teenage boy to look so great.
    Chez Panisse looks worth it if only to people watch. Love those guys.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Harley looks so cute. And they all look so beautiful. Occasionally, they can look kind of trashy here in N.C. depending on the area. I much more prefer this look.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is a few where you want to say, young lady where is your dress?

      Delete
  22. It's a dream of mine to eat at Chez Panisse someday. Might need to plan a kids free weekend to visit the SF area. The coat you're wearing in the Chez Panisse photo is adorable! Would love details!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi there, it's Mike&Chris, very old now...can't seem to find a link for them

      Delete
  23. Wow how beautiful, love this post!
    Ive just found you blog and i love it, gonna give you a follow!!

    Please feel free to check out my blog too!
    www.bobbi-jane.blogspot.com

    thanks x

    ReplyDelete
  24. Harley is so grown up and handsome. His date was adorable too. You are so right about the days long, but the years fast..Love Stevie. No wonder you look so good with that dancing troupe stuff. How fun! Chez Panisse is on my list. Photos were great and I love your trench. x

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...